Friday, January 27, 2012

Vegan Rice Pudding (It's SOOO much better than it sounds)

SO, in an effort to get healthier I've decided that I'd like to REALLY try cutting out animal products. In all honesty, I doubt I'll be able to go completely vegan, mainly because I don't want to. BUT I am going to attempt to eat as vegan-ly as possible the majority of the time. :)

I started out swimmingly by having this delicious rice pudding for dessert tonight! It's a pretty basic recipe and it's very easy and yummy! Do NOT be intimidated by it's lack of traditional pudding fare (like sugar and milk) it is REALLY good, I promise.

Vegan Rice Pudding
I didn't measure how much this made, but my guess would be about 4 cups.

Ingredients:
-2 cups cooked brown rice (you could use white, it would be a bit fluffier, but I prefer brown)
-2 cups Vanilla Almond Milk (or any vanilla non-dairy milk)
-1/4 cup raisins (I didn't have them, so I left them out but I will def. add them next time)
-3 tbsp amber agave nectar* (this stuff is so delicious, I use it to sweeten everything)
-1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp Cinnamon (use less if you're not a big cinnamon fan, or you could omit it)

After you've cooked your rice, combine all ingredients in a medium sauce pan. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Heat to desired consistency. If pudding becomes too thick, thin it with a bit more milk. Top with more raisins and a dash of cinnamon.

*You could replace the Amber agave nectar with light agave nectar or 2 tbsp Maple syrup. I like Amber agave the best because it adds a sweet, rich flavor without dominating the dish - like maple syrup would.


This would be great in the morning, warmed with a splash of milk, some raisins, and/or some berries!

I hope if you make this that you enjoy it and have fun adding your own touch to it!
-Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment